Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Dog Training Books

I work night shifts at a call center, so I work a weird night schedule. That leaves me with Tuesdays off, available to catch up on errands, cleaning, and all types of other things that are on my mind to finish before I have to go back to work for the rest of the week until Sunday.




I have recently really gotten into reading LOTS of information about dog training because I really want to be a great responsible dog owner.

These are 2 books I have read and LOVE:

  AND 

The Art of Raising a Puppy (Revised Edition) by the Monks of New Skete and The Culture Clash: A Revolutionary New Way to Understanding the Relationship Between Humans and Domestic Dogs by Joan Donaldson have been INVALUABLE resources for learning about my dog, and dog behavior in general.

I think that reading these books as a start would give dog owners so much insight to the needs of their dogs and teach a whole new appreciation for doggy-ness. It's not a matter of trying to force train a dog to be exactly what you think it should be, I think it's more a matter of learning about the dog species and understanding their needs and limitations, which will make you appreciate their strengths SO much more.

There are so many approaches to dog training, and the more I read, the more I realize there is no one cookie cutter approach that works for every dog. Somewhat like children, they're individual and each owner needs to learn their dog, and tailor training to their needs. There's no question though, that to be their best, dogs need leadership from their owners to understand what we want from them.

I really look forward to sharing what I learn about dog ownership with everyone in hopes that we can lower the rates of dogs surrendered into shelters.

Of course, here's a daily dose of Bunny (one of the first photos we took of her):

No comments:

Post a Comment